Traveling and the village of Lesotho

3/7/11 Monday

9:15pm SA
1:15pm AL

Up at 4:50am this morning and on the road by 6:10am.

Unbeknownst to us, Charlotte and Asher were sick this morning as we left.  I feel so bad for them.

We took Zacky back to his school in Parro.  It is very nice private school that caters to rugby players.

Then we were on the road again.  The terrain turned into very mountainous as we left Parro .  It was truly stunning to see the sun rise thru the misty morning over those mountains.  Then we got thru the main mountain pass we had LOTS of sheep fields, cow fields, ostrich fields and cornfields.  Whew.  It was a LONG day but we switched up seats often and took a few bathroom stops (as Peter would allow)

We had been on the road for quite some time (our entertainment was reduced to blowing the horn at the sparrows on the electrical lines and watching them fly away) when we stopped at Hogby (or something like that).  WE were looking for a restroom but found it hard to find one.  We saw a small sign in front of a home that said “coffee” so we stopped there. It really was just a home with one of the rooms featuring a few garage sale items strewn across the room.  Peter asked for coffee so they ran to the kitchen to brew some (10 rand for them to fill his travel mug…that is about 11 cents)  We asked to use their restroom which was down the hall and just a home bathroom. It was clean and there were even a few towels hung to dry our hands. (A cloth towel, rather than paper towels, are a common find in a lot of private businesses….not something I could get use to.)

As we left there we found that we had to stop (once again) for road construction.  They finally flagged us on, and we assumed that that meant the one free lane was clear of cars.  AS we were turning onto the free lane, a black man approached the car.  IT was normal to see hitchhikers but he was approaching the car in a rather assertive way.  Peter lowered his window and the man spoke a language none of us understood, so Peter just waved him away, At that same time, a truck came into the supposed free lane that we were suppose to be turning on.  We all thanked God for His Divine intervention.  As I turned around to look for the man, he was no longer there.

Then we came to customs.  (It was about 6:40pm and had just gotten dark.) We stopped to in the South African customs to get permission to leave and then crossed the border into Lesotho.  WE stopped in customs and had our passports stamps.  A cursory nod was our inspection.

I did not expect what I experienced which was the change in the atmosphere, spiritually speaking.  It grew very dark and oppressed.  We were to meet some team members at KFC (Peter’s church has a youth team here for a  week.) We drove around for a while looking for it.  It felt like we were around Day Street in downtown Montgomery.  Streetlights were, for the most part, not working.  People were meandering about.  When we found the KFC (it was part of the storefronts on the main drag) we pulled into the parking lot.  There was a large fire burning in the back of the lot.  The smell around town was of burning wood.  Lots of candles were lit in roadside stands and that fire smell permeated the place.

Two of the team members (Ernest and Tersia) pulled in the parking lot so we all walked in together to get a bite to eat. YES, it was a rather tentative place to be even tho the car was only a few yards from the front door.  (The chicken, by the way, was delicious.)

Ernest and Tersia went on to tell us that they camp meetings that they were holding at night had been having some demonic manifestations when they were praying over people. This area is steeped in animalism (carrying around things that were like good look charms, etc.)…Anyway, they gave more details then I have time to write about.  BUT, we had prayed as soon as we crossed the border so no fear was/is there.

We opted not to go to the meeting (By this time it was 8:15ish) but were taken to the leader’s home where we are staying.

It is a large brick home, surrounded by a fence and gate.  This USE to be their church meeting place (now they meet in a tent outside of the gate.)  A beautiful Lesotho woman and her son met us at the gate.  Mabaquana is her name (she is letting me call her Maba) and her 13 year old son: Tsepbogn (he is letting me call him Seps)  Whew.  The dad, Ntai, is at the meeting.

WE chatted a while and then they showed us our rooms.  I am overwhelmed that they led us back to the back bedroom.  It was very large and modestly furnished.  It took me a few minutes to realize that Maba and Ntai have given up THEIR room for Tim and I.  Very sobering.

Tim is trying to sleep (he had a headache on the trip) so I am signing off.  Long day tomorrow.

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.